Skip to main content

Trip to Russia

Trip to Russia: My Moscow Experience

My Travelling Experiences | Travel Date: May 2026

I traveled to Russia in May 2026, so all the practical information shared here is based on my personal experience during that period.

My trip to Russia was actually quite incidental. I was originally planning a 10-day vacation from Abu Dhabi, but my initial choices fell through: Shenzhen visas were not available at the time due to the geopolitical situation (US-Iran tensions), and several African destinations like Tanzania, Kenya, and Madagascar required a confirmed return flight ticket and pre-booked hotels for visa approval.

While hotel bookings are easy to obtain for free via platforms like Agoda, flight itineraries often require editing PDFs, risking sketchy online services, or visiting a travel agent to procure a dummy ticket. I wasn't willing to go through that hassle or spend extra money on dummy itineraries just to apply for a visa.

Obtaining the Russian E-Visa

While exploring alternative 10-day travel options, I decided to check the Russian visa process. To my pleasant surprise, applying for a Russian E-Visa online was remarkably straightforward. It required only personal details—no advance hotel or flight booking documents were demanded. It was a refreshing, 'straight talk, no bullshit' process.

What impressed me most was receiving an email right after submission stating that if any corrections were needed, they would contact me within four days. Coming from experiences where embassies reject applications without feedback (for instance, my Australian visa application had been rejected for four consecutive years), this approach showed genuine hospitality and humility. Instead of outright rejection, the Russian embassy offers a chance to correct mistakes.

On the fourth day, my visa was granted! However, I was still on the fence about going.

Flight Booking & Decision Time

Due to the ongoing regional conflict, air routes were longer and flight prices from Abu Dhabi to Moscow had skyrocketed to around $1,200 USD—nearly three times the usual rate of $400 USD. Since the e-visa was valid for only one month, spending that much on airfare felt unreasonable, and I initially canceled my plans.

Yet, I couldn't stop thinking about Moscow. I kept checking ticket prices every few days. Surprisingly, within two to three days, fares dropped to $800 USD. Taking that as a sign, I decided I had no more excuses and booked the flight.

Arrival & Navigating Moscow

Immigration at the airport was smooth and quick, with only a few standard questions. Upon exiting, I decided to take the Metro into the city rather than an expensive airport taxi.

I asked at the airport assistance desk, where a helpful staff member directed me to the metro station and gave me a printed Moscow City Guide map. (Note: I'll leave the grand scale of the Russian Metro and architecture as a surprise for when you visit!)
(Note: I'll leave the grand scale of the Russian Metro and architecture as a surprise for when you visit!)

However, as soon as I left the airport and headed toward the city, my international internet roaming and GPS stopped working entirely. Google Maps was unusable. During the flight, a flight attendant had mentioned that network services don't work well for her in Russia, but since everything worked for me at the airport (I even made a call to India), I hadn't taken it seriously. It turned out airports operate under different rules, and local connectivity restrictions kick in once you enter the city.

Important Financial & Tech Tip: International Visa and MasterCard credit/debit cards do NOT work in Russia due to banking sanctions. You must carry sufficient cash (USD is widely accepted for currency exchange) or use UnionPay/Chinese bank cards. Additionally, download offline local apps like Yandex Maps and Yandex Translate before arriving.

 Fortunately, I had memorized the route on Google Maps earlier. Relying on my memory and direction sense, I walked 3 km from the metro exit through the light rain at midnight, carrying my two bags, to reach my accommodation.

Accommodation & Perfect Location

Since standard international booking sites don't work in Russia due to payment restrictions, I had booked a hostel in advance through 101hotels.com without any upfront online payment.

When I arrived at midnight, the room was tiny—just 6x8 feet with a shared washroom—and felt quite expensive. However, the next morning, I stepped out onto the street and realized why: my hostel was right in the heart of central Moscow, surrounded by the city's top landmarks and vibrant streets!



 Exploring the central streets of Moscow right outside the hostel

For the next four to five days, I spent my time exploring the city on foot. Below are a few photos to spark your interest in visiting Moscow.

Architecture & Sightseeing

The first thing that awed me was the sheer scale of Russian architecture. I had never seen such massive, grandiose buildings in modern times.



Grand architecture and impressive building scales in Moscow

I visited several museums and historic royal estates converted into museums, gaining a deep appreciation for the lives of Russian nobility in the 15th to 17th centuries. Moscow's iconic cathedrals and historical museums are absolute must-visits.



Famous cathedrals and historical architectural landmarks in Moscow

Exploring these sights revealed a modern, welcoming country steeped in rich Eastern Orthodox Christian heritage, with beautiful traditions preserved across generations.


Food Options for Vegetarians

Finding vegetarian food in Russia can be challenging, but having survived six months traveling in South America, I am used to adapting without complaints.

I discovered a popular supermarket chain called EUROSPAR across Moscow, which offers great vegetarian options including rice dishes, wheat bakery items, and fresh salads. Additionally, I frequented local Turkish restaurants, which serve delicious, authentic lentil soup (Mercimek Çorbası)—a completely vegetarian and hearty meal. Between these two options, eating well was never a problem.



 A satisfying vegetarian meal from EUROSPAR supermarket

SIM Cards, Translation & VPNs

On my second day, after realizing my international SIM wouldn't function, I set out to buy a local SIM card. Unfortunately, at the first shop, I was overcharged and misled. I later spoke with fellow Indian tourists and an expat working in Moscow, who guided me to legitimate authorized telecom stores.

Once I secured a functioning Russian SIM, everything became much easier. I downloaded local apps:

• Yandex Translate: Essential for navigating Russian text. By simply pointing my phone camera at museum placards or street signs, it provided instant English translations.

• Yandex Maps: Perfect for navigating Moscow's streets and transit system without Google Maps.

Regarding VPNs: While my regular VPN was blocked, some travelers managed to install working VPNs right at the airport for around 500 to 700 Rubles.

Final Reflections

A few days are never enough to fully comprehend a country with such a rich history and distinct culture. I definitely plan to return to Russia in the future to explore outside Moscow and experience rural hospitality.

I'll close with a photo of a striking statue I came across in Moscow, which perfectly captures the expressive and intriguing spirit of my Russian journey.



Above Picture shows Russian's Attitude towards Me ( Or may be for most of the people like me)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Motorcycle driving tour in India

Just biking,  Delhi to Kanyakumari and back till Jaipur via Lucknow, Ranchi, Vizag, Chennai and Mumbai.   (Note : Just biking does not allow to visit any touristic place, roam-around in city or do any other touristic activity  😆 , it’s Just you, highway and trucks , A lots of trucks 😝 )   My Map     Trip Summary:  Approx. 6900 Km and 33 Days    Total Expenses 600 $ for 33 days (20 USD per day)   Cost Break up:   Fuel: 300 $ (Bike fuel economy: 35 km / liter, Thunderbird 350CC)   Hotel / Stay : 120 $,  Food: 70 $,  Other Expenses:  110   $,  Bike Maintenance  : 20 $   (Food bill is usually between 0.5 $ to 1.5 $ at roadside Restaurants (Dhaba). My most costly one-time meal was 2.2 $ in Kerala)   Health Issues:   Pain in chest : - Started in Lucknow and remained till Ranchi, I even discussed this with my friend in Ranchi, he said we can g...

Driving in Azerbaijan

My driving map of Azerbaijan. (I didn't drive much (approx. 600 km since it's a small country). As I mentioned in my previous blog, while in Georgia, on my way to Azerbaijan, I met another motorcycle driver named Daniel and we decided to travel together. At the border, I asked Daniel to go first since he was a white man and might get some leverage. I followed behind him (we crossed at Red Bridge passing). They stopped him and took him aside, and I entered. I waited for him outside the post on the Azerbaijan side, worried. Finally, he came and told me the problem was that he had a printed map showing some part of Azerbaijan in Armenia, which upset the authorities. I'm sure if he were not an Englishman, he might have had to spend some time in lockup.  About the insurance part, the good thing was that they do not insist on bike insurance for the country; they simply sell it for $10 for one month, which is tourist-friendly. Azerbaijan does not have as many hotels as you can fin...

How to convert your Driving license in Malaysia

Malaysia allow to convert many countries' driving license to Malaysian driving license without going for any test.  I did convert my Indian driving license here. Below are the steps. These may change over the period of time, depending upon when you referring this post. So its just a reference. 1. JPJ L1 Form click here or google (if link changed). 2. JPJ Appendix B-2 form (Click here) . 3. Photocopy of Passport First and Last Page (Normal copy, No zoom in, Portrait orientation) 4. Photocopy of Visa Page  (Normal copy , No zoom in, Portrait orientation) 5. Photo copy of your country Driving License Front and Back  6. Print out - ‘Extract of Driving License’ status. Make sure to print the whole page including 'Notes' section. Don't crop and print this page. Ensure that the print out is showing date / time / url path at the footer or header. Print India license from- https://parivahan.gov.in/rcdlstatus/?pur_cd=101 Now here is the catch. Simply taking printout of...